In France, clonal selection is carried out by ENTAV*. At first, the work
was aimed at producing clones that would meet the agronomic issues of viticulture
and that would be free of serious viral diseases such as vine deformation
and leafroll. ENTAV, along with its regional partners, thus selected many
clones for each of the major French varieties. The goals of clonal selection
have changed in the past few years: newly acquired knowledge has proved
the importance of the sanitary issue and production targets are closely
linked to the quality of the grapes. As a result of all these efforts, Guillaume
Nurseries is able to offer a broad range of clones suited to the different
* Etablissement national technique pour l'amélioration de la viticulture .
We carry out customized massal selections according to each wine-grower's
goals. Actually, many estates wish to distinguish themselves from the
others by maintaining the original features of their production through
The different steps are:
- choosing the plots to prospect according to age, origin, overall sanitary
- marking and assessing the vines;
- doing the sanitary tests;
- taking the plant material from the selected vines and propagating it.
We can also counsel you or even provide the support you need to carry
out a "home-made" selection.